Core Coaching Competencies
These are the key competencies that coaches need to demonstrate to become certified in the International Coaching Certification training and join the International Coaching Community. These are also the skills that they will demonstrate consistently in their professional coaching work.
- Understands and follow the ethical guidelines and the published standards of the Lambent do Brasil Coaching Community.
- Makes a clear distinction between content and process of the client´s issue, that is, what the issue is and how they represent it.
- Works always to give the client more choices than they presently have.
- The background of coaching
- What distinguishes coaching from counselling, therapy, training and consulting.
- Familiarity with the specialist vocabulary of coaching.
- The criteria for testing both process and outcome goals.
- Builds a relationship of respect and trust with the client.
- Works so the client is accountable for the coaching process and the tasks they agree to in that process.
- Creates an equal, synergistic partnership with the client.
- Is fully present and attentive during the coaching process, listening and supporting the client´s self-expression, focusing on the client´s agenda and not their own.
- Is in touch with, and pays attention to their intuition.
- Keeps their own perspective and does not become enmeshed in the client´s emotions.
- Evaluates and distinguishes the different messages the client gives.
- Is sensitive to and calibrates the client´s non-verbal signals.
Enquiry and Questions
- Helps the client to define the present situation in detail.
- Asks powerful questions that provoke insight, discovery and action.
- Provides clear and articulate feedback.
- Uses different perspectives to reframe and clarify the client´s experience.
- Supports the client´s growing self-awareness.
- Makes the client aware of incongruence between their thoughts, emotions and actions.
- Shows the client areas of strength and elicits and supports their resources
- Shows the client where habits are holding them back and supports any change they want to make
- Celebrates the client´s successes
Goals, values and beliefs
- Works with the client to overcome limiting beliefs.
- Explores the client´s values and makes the client aware of them.
- Does notimpose their own values.
- Works with the client to clarify their goals and check that they are congruent with their values.
- Clearly requests actions that will lead the client towards their goals.
Designing actions and tasks
- Creates opportunities for ongoing learning for the client.
- Gives appropriate tasks for the client to challenge them and move them forward towards their goals.
- Helps the client to develop an appropriate, measurable action plan with target dates.
- Provides challenges to take the client beyond their perceived limitations.
- Holds the client accountable for the mutually agreed tasks and actions